NATO Vacancy 180543
Scientist, Tracking and Data Fusion
Primary Location: Italy-La Spezia
NATO Body: Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE)
Salary (Pay Basis): 5,285.21Euro (EUR) Monthly
Do you have recent and relevant experience in developing and implementing advanced techniques for Data Fusion and Tracking? Do you have a demonstrated track record of implementing advanced algorithms into software and using this software to process and understand experimental data, leading to the generation of high quality scientific papers and technical reports? Do you have experience interacting with and satisfying external technical customers?
If the answer to the above questions is yes, then this position may be ideal for you.
- POST CONTEXT
The Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE) is an executive body of the Science and Technology Organization (STO) and is governed by the provisions of the STO Charter. Within the framework of the STO in-house delivery business model, the CMRE organizes and conducts scientific research and technology development and deliver innovative field-tested S&T solutions to address the defence and security needs of the Alliance.
The CMRE Research Department conducts research oriented toward systems and physical processes in the maritime domain.
The Tracking and Data Fusion Scientist is an A2 position in the Maritime Unmanned Systems for ASW (MUS for ASW) project within the CASW programme. Duties will be performed under the guidance of the MUS for ASW Project Leader and the CASW Programme Manager.
- MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES
The candidate will conduct research on the use of autonomous active and passive sonar networks for the tracking of submarine targets. Duties will include: experimentation with manned and autonomous sensor networks during sea trials; development of advanced multi-target tracking and data fusion algorithms; the testing of these algorithms on experimental data collected during sea trials, both in real-time and in post-analysis, to validate and further guide the development of the algorithms; and the writing of technical documents documenting achieved results.
The incumbent maybe required to perform other related duties.
- QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A University education in engineering, computer science, physics, mathematics or similarly rigorous overlapping discipline.
- A minimum of 1 year postgraduate experience after a Ph.D., or 3 years after a Master’s degree, or 7 years after a Bachelor’s degree.
- Expertise in tracking and data fusion.
- Strong research record as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and/or technical reports.
- Proven ability to analyse large quantities of experimental data, to determine findings from the analysis, and to report on them.
- Proven ability to develop tracking and data fusion algorithms into MATLAB, Python or other scientific programming languages that provide demonstrable improvements to the achieved performance of tracking algorithms working on experimental data.
- Most of the work of the CMRE is conducted in the English language, and therefore an advance knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential.
3.2 DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Expertise in active or passive sonar for Anti-Submarine Warfare or other underwater detection applications.
- Expertise developing real-time signal processing, tracking and data fusion solutions.
- Implementing algorithms onto embedded systems.
- Expertise in multi-target tracking.
- Expertise in machine learning.
- Experience leading scientific project teams.
- Demonstrated track record delivering high quality and valued products, such as reports or algorithms, to a customer.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary environments with experts from other domains.
- International reputation.
- Membership in and service to professional societies.
- Experience interacting with high-level civilian and/or military decision makers.
- Working with People: Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and shows flexibility in reconciling conflicts; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Coping with Pressures and Setbacks: Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work and personal life.
- Applying Expertise and Technology: Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
- Adapting and Responding to Change: Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.